Saturday, April 25, 2015

View from the Galley

As most people do we prepare and eat most of our meals at home, or for Maris and I it's dinner 'on board'. I truly enjoy preparing meals on board! We have a wonderful galley. Of course we don't have a dishwasher, garbage disposal or state of the art fridge but you can't beat the view! I have one beautiful view after another as we journey to one beautiful anchorage after another.
                                           Galley View at Bitter Guana Cay, Exumas
                                                          Galley View at Shroud Cay

It requires more preparation to make meals aboard. It's best to gather all ingredients before preparing. I have figured out a system that works well for me. Last night I made sauteed conch with carmelized onions over a bed of quinoa with a green salad. I tenderized the conch and set it in a marinade in the morning after breakfast. After a day of swimming and snorkeling it was time to make dinner. I find that just about everything cooks faster our propane stove. Rice and other grains simmer to finish in just about half the time or less. So I begin with the quinoa while I prep the the other ingredients and make the salads. I then carmelize the onions, dredge the conch in seasoned panko crumbs and saute them. Below is a pic of the conch cooking with the rest of dinner already done. Dinner is about to be served! 


Coming from such a large kitchen on land I am surprised I don't find our galley confining. I always feel our galley is a joy to work in. I can say at this point the trade off is worth it. Yes, I gladly give up the conveniences of a "land" kitchen to the beautiful, changing views from my galley.                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment